Baby Ripple Hat – Crochet Pattern

Adapted from Lyn’s Baby’s Round Ripple Afghan pattern

Baby/sport yarn with an F hook makes a newborn-sized hat

Round 1: Ch 4, join. Ch 3, make 13 DC in loop, join. (14 St)

Round 2: Ch 3. *In 2nd st from hook, DC-Ch 2-DC (V-stitch made)* six times; DC in base of starting Ch 3, Ch 2, join. (7 V-stitches)

Round 3: Sl St in first V-stitch space, chain 3, DC-Ch2-2DC in same space. *2DC-Ch2-2DC in next V-stitch space* six times; join.

Round 4: Ch 3, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next st, *skip 2 st, DC in next st, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next st* six times; join.

Round 5: Ch 3, DC in next st, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next 2 st, *skip 2 st, DC in next 2 st, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next 2 st* six times; join.

Round 6: Ch 3, DC in next 2 st, DC-Ch2-DC in V-space, DC in next 3 st, *skip 2 st, DC in next 3 st, DC-Ch2-DC in V-space, DC in next 3 st* six times; join.

Rounds 7-16: Repeat round 6 ten more times. [Corrected 1/5/10]

Round 17: Ch 1, SC in next 3 st, 2SC-Ch2-2SC in V-space, SC in next 4 st, *skip 2 st, SC in next 4 st, SC-Ch2-SC in V-space, SC in next 4 st* six times; join.

Mittens

Round 1: Ch 4, join. Ch 3, 9 DC in loop, join.

Round 2: Ch 3, DC in same st. *DC in next st, 2DC in next st.* Repeat around; DC in last st, join.

Round 3: Ch 3, DC around as in Round 2 (alternating 2 DC & 1 DC). Join.

Round 4: Ch 3; 1 DC in each st around, join.

Rounds 5-10: Repeat Round 4 until mittens reach desired length (mittens in photo have 10 rounds of DC).

Round 11: Ch 1, SC in each stitch around, join.

Finishing: Weave narrow ribbon or baby elastic through 2nd from last row to hold them on baby’s wrists.

This entry was posted in Knitting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Baby Ripple Hat – Crochet Pattern

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention toastyfrog.net » Baby Ripple Hat – Crochet Pattern -- Topsy.com

2. Kelly says:

This hat is so cute, I just printed it out. Can’t wait to try it.

3. Lyn says:

Wow, the cap look adorable, and adapted from my Round Ripple Afghan ? that is genius :)

love them. now I can pair your cap with the afghan as a set !!

Lyn

4. We offered the Ripple Hat for baby, but some are asking for the little mittens pattern. Will you point us to the link for the pattern. Thank you for the hat pattern. Lyn is a very good friend of mine and is a moderator in our Angels4Preemies group. Today is January 4, 2010.

AlexSandy Thompson aka Mummsie!
    angels4preemies@yahoogroups.com
    knittingmadeeasy4u@yahoogroups.com

5. Geek2Nurse says:

The mittens were just made up as I went…it should be easy enough to reconstruct the pattern, though. I’ll work on it! :)

6. Donna says:

I’d love to know the brand of yarn and colorway to make this hat. It’s adorable.

7. Tonya says:

Can I use this pattern to sell make hats to sell…I don’t see anything and while I could do it and not ask I prefer to ask it’s only right

8. Geek2Nurse says:

I put the labels somewhere where I wouldn’t lose them, which of course guarantees that now I can’t find them. :) They’ll turn up sooner or later, though, and I’ll post the yarns that I used when they do.

9. Geek2Nurse says:

Of course, Tonya. I don’t feel any need to control the use of the pattern. I hope it’s profitable for you! (Thanks for asking!)

10. Danyel says:

I have been looking for a ripple hat pattern for a long time. I love it! I’m probably going to sell a couple of these in my Etsy shop. I will gladly give you credit for the beautiful pattern! Thanks so much for doing this!!!!!

11. Geek2Nurse says:

As requested, I’ve added the mitten pattern. Enjoy!

12. Eileen says:

They are adorable. I make baby hats for a hospital near me and I’m going to use your pattern for the next couple I make. Thank you for sharing your pattern. I like them.

13. joyce nv says:

Could you give me a gauge on this or a finished size? I made one and its adorable but it looks big. Maybe i need to use a different size needle. Thank You.

14. Cathy says:

Thank you for this pattern. I would like to make these for gifts. I have 6 grandchildren, but they are too big for these now, but it would be nice for charity gifts also. Thanks again.

15. Margo Cerny says:

Hi I am also a s RN that works in a Academy/Residential that exists to help troubled girls. I have instructed and mentored many of them to crochet. One of the therapists claims that crochet and other types of repetitive hand movement type crafts helps as a coping skill and helps reprogram the brain. I have done many types of things to help the girls. I have done massage therapy with deep tendon release of the arms, shoulders and such. We had management changes and now I am highly limited and /or forebiden to do massages at this time. I am always looking for cheep yarn and supplies to give the girls and have bought a lot out of my own money. I am always looking for creative things to do with the girls. I do weekly nurse led topics for health and include many things in my teaching 1 of which has been crochet, spa, relaxation, infection control, car safety, med safety and on and on. If anyone has ideas or yarn or hooks they want to give pls contact me. I have had guest speakers come and share parts of their stories of survival and career posibilities also. I currently live in noth IL

16. Margo Cerny says:

I want to help the girls as a community service project make baby hats for the new born nursery of IL hospitals. this is why I am looking up baby hat patterns

Thanks in advance Margo (village Grandma)

T

17. Stephanie S says:

Thank you for this pattern, it is so cute. I made it a little smaller because I was using Simply soft yarn. (don’t have any baby weight at the moment) I am going to get some baby weight yarn because I want to get the size of it with that weight. I work for a hospital(several actually) and I would like to make some of these for our baby units.

18. Dahlia says:

Very cute! Do you know how this can be adapted to a teen/adult size?

19. Maureen says:

Just love the pattern and have made several for charity! While making these adorable little hats, I revised the directions for the beginning of rounds 4-16. I would like to recommend this pattern on Ravelry with the revised changes. I will be happy to email you the revisions with pics so that other interested crocheters can refer to your site for this adorable pattern.

20. Geek2Nurse says:

Sure, improvements are welcome. :)

21. Maureen says:

Thus far, I have made 7 hats of various sizes using your pattern with its revisions. It is a perfect pattern — newborns to adults — by simply adjusting size of crochet hook and type of yarn.

Round 1: Ch 4, join. Ch 3, make 13 DC in loop, join. (14 DC counting Ch 3)

Round 2: Ch 3, DC in starting st, Ch 2, 2 DC in next st, *2 DC in next st, Ch2, 2 DC in nxt st* (V-stitch), 5 more times. Join at 3rd ch of starting Ch3. (7 V-stitches)

Round 3: Sl St in nxt st and in first V-stitch space, Ch 3, DC-Ch2-2DC in same space. *2DC-Ch2-2DC in next V-stitch space* six times; join at 3rd ch of starting Ch3.

Round 4: Sl St to st before V-stitch, Ch 3, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next st, *skip 2 st, DC in next st, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next st* six times; join at 3rd ch of starting Ch 3.

Round 5: Sl St in first st, Ch 3, DC in next st, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next 2 st, *skip 2 st, DC in next 2 st, 2DC-Ch2-2DC in V-space, DC in next 2 st* six times; join at 3rd ch of starting Ch3.

Round 6: Sl St in 1st, Ch 3 in 2nd st, DC in next 2 st, DC-Ch2-DC in V-space, DC in next 3 st, *skip 2 st, DC in next 3 st, DC-Ch2-DC in V-space, DC in next 3 st* six times; join at 3rd st of starting Ch3.

Rounds 7-16: Repeat Round 6 ten more times. [Corrected 1/5/10]

Take care:)))))))

22. jeanie says:

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE ADORABLE PATTERN!!! HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR SOME TIME FOR A PATTERN THAT WOULD WORK UP QUICK AND CUTE, AND REALLY THRILLED TO FIND A HAT PATTERN IN RIPPLE PATTERN. NOW I CAN MAKE HAT AND BLANKLET SETS TO DONATE TO MY LOCAL HOSPITALS.

23. L. Pendragon says:

On the last round of the hat – are you sure there should be a skip two in there? The numbers just don’t add up right, unless there’s something I’m missing.

24. jennifer says:

Can I use this pattern to sell make hats to sell… I prefer to ask it’s only right i think that they are adorable

25. Geek2Nurse says:

It’s been a while since I’ve made one (trying to get through my last semester of grad school right now, everything else is on the sidelines!) so I’m not sure…could be I just count spaces differently than you do. Do what makes it come out right for you! ;)

26. Geek2Nurse says:

Sure, I don’t have a problem with that. Thanks for asking, though! :)

27. catherine says:

joctust found your patteren.were haveing a great grandbaby this oct. so im looking for new things to work on for him/her.have a greatday and i enjoy your work and your patterens. thanks catherine

28. Debbie says:

Thank you so much for your pattern it should be a great addition to the blanket. Have a blessed day.

29. Kim says:

I love this pattern! The directions are clear and easy to understand. I have a friend who’s having a new grandbaby in September and I wanted something new to make for him. Thanks to you I found what I was looking for!

30. I am on rounds 7-16 where a correction was made on 1/5/10. I can not get round 6 to match up with round 7. Do I need to skip more than two st.

31. Dell says:

I love your patterns but can’t find where to print them out can you help

32. Geek2Nurse says:

Just use the print function in your browser. (Control-P is usually a shortcut to printing.) :)

33. kamcsatka says:

Thanks for the great pattern! My first hat, and it works:) just one question: what does this mean: “[Corrected 1/5/10]“???
    I’ll translate it into hungarian and publish on my blog, if you’re agree – with a link back, of course!
    orsi

34. kamcsatka says:

OK, I’m an idiot, it was a date :D :D :D
    but I was so strongly trying to figure out, what kind of abbrevation it was :D

35. Geek2Nurse says:

Of course, you’re welcome to translate and repost it. I’m glad you like it. ;)

36. Linda says:

Have you ever thought of doing a step by step video for youtube. I have tried this and I am not doing so good. I am not good at reading patterns, I do better with visual aids lol. Just a thought. I have a friend who reads patterns and she says she will help me. love the hat.

37. Geek2Nurse says:

Sorry if it’s hard to follow…I’m not an expert at crochet, so am probably even less of one at writing down patterns!

38. Victoria says:

Nice reworking of a ripple pattern! I made this in cotton worsted with an H hook for a friend’s new baby – a bit big, but they grow so quickly I wanted it to last more than a couple of weeks. I found that 17 rows was rather long, made it in 14 rows, and turned up the bottom to make an adorable pointed brim!

39. Grama Deb says:

For Margo, I don’t know where you can get free supplies but there are bzillions of knitting needles and crochet hooks for sale on ebay cheap. Yarn too. Some of them are estate sales. Good luck!

40. vel mckinnon says:

does the pattern apply to maureen’s or your pattern to follow? just askin

41. Jan says:

I saw a previous post saying they had an issue with putting round 7 on round 6, but I didn’t see a response. It doesn’t match up at all, and I really want to finish this hat. Can you help?

42. Vickie Mains says:

I have made about 60+ of your ripple hats and have gifted several church families and friends. I have made it in many different sizes including preemie. My friends and my daughter are asking me to take them to Etsy. I told them someone else (you) actually made the pattern but that I would ask you if I can do that. I would be happy to give you credit for the pattern. I don’t know how this works but I do know I would never do it without your permission. Thank you, Vickie

43. Nancy says:

Hi everyone, I’m making little hats for preemies. Thanks so much for all the patterns and info. I’m just learning to crochet!
    I have a friend that is looking for an older pattern by Paton’s. It was a baby outfit
    called “Leaf and Lace”. Would any of you gals have this pattern?
    They don’t make the Paton’s book anymore and she loved this outfit for gifts.
    Can anyone help???

44. admin says:

Hi Vickie, sorry for the late reply. Sure, you can do whatever you want with the hats you make. :) Ruth

45. clarita nelson says:

i’m sorry it must be me because i find your pattern very hard to follow. i’m very disapointed because i really think it is adorable i just can’t figure it out

46. admin says:

Sorry; it’s my first attempt at writing down a pattern. Maybe someone at your local yarn shop could help with what you’re stuck on.

47. Linda says:

I think the problem some people are having is that they haven’t noticed that in Rnd 6 the V stitch switches from 2DC-CH2-2DC to 1DC-CH2-1DC. This change is what allows you to continue the following rows without continuing to increase. I missed it the first time around myself and had to really look at the pattern before I realized I was assuming the V stitch stayed the same when it didn’t. Hopefully, this will solve some problems. ;-D

48. Judy says:

Linda,
    thank you so much for pointing this out, because this is exactly what I did and could not figure out why it was not coming out right!!!

49. Heather says:

So cute, I love the mitts and the variegated yarn you used.